Calcium & Health
Calcium & Health
"In 1932 Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for his discovery that cancer was anaerobic: it occurs in the absence of free oxygen As innocuous as this discovery might seem, it is actually a startling and significant finding worthy of a Nobel Prize.
In chemistry, alkali solutions (pH over 7.0) tend to absorb oxygen, while acids (pH under 7.0) tend to expel oxygen. For example, a mild alkali can absorb over 100 times as much oxygen as a mild acid. Therefore, when the body becomes acidic by dropping below pH 7.0 (note: all body fluids, except for stomach and urine, are supposed to be mildly alkaline at pH 7.4), oxygen is driven out of the body. Stomach fluids must remain acidic to digest food and urine must remain acidic to remove wastes from the body.
Blood is the exception. Blood must always remain at an alkaline pH 7.4 so that it can retain its oxygen. When adequate mineral consumption is in the diet, the blood is supplied the crucial minerals required to maintain an alkaline pH of 7.4. However when insufficient mineral consumption is in the diet, the body is forced to rob Peter (other body fluids) to pay Paul (the blood). In doing so, it removes crucial minerals, such as calcium, from the saliva, spinal fluids, kidneys, liver, etc., in order to maintain the blood at pH 7.4. This causes the de-mineralized fluids and organs to become acidic and therefore anaerobic.
Everyone knows that the human body is made up of 78% water by weight, and that water is hydrogen and oxygen gases. When nitrogen gas and carbon in the form of carbon dioxide and methane gases are added, the total gas in the body by weight becomes over 95%. Almost half of the remaining 5% that makes up the human body and controls all biological functions is the mineral calcium.
No other mineral is capable of performing as many biological functions as is calcium. Calcium is involved in almost every biological function. This amazing mineral provides the electrical energy for the heart to beat and for all muscle movement. It is the calcium ion that is responsible for feeding every cell. It does this by latching on to seven nutrient molecules and one water molecule and pulls them through the nutrient channel. It then detaches its load and returns to repeat the process. Another important biological job for calcium is DNA replication, which is crucial for maintaining youth and a healthy body. DNA replication is the basis for all body repair and can only occur on a substrate of calcium.
Thus, low calcium means low body repair and premature aging. As important as all these and hundreds of other biological functions of calcium are to human health, none is more important than the job of pH control. Calcium to acid, is like water to a fire. Calcium quickly destroys oxygen robbing acid in the body fluids.
"In the 1950s, Dr. Carl Reich M.D. discovered that his patients were able to heal themselves by consuming calcium, magnesium, vitamin-D and other nutrients. Dr. Reich was the first North American doctor to prescribe mega doses of minerals and vitamins to his patients and is considered by many to be the father of preventive medicine. By the 1980s Dr. Reich had healed thousands, but lost his license for explaining that the consumption of mineral nutrients, such as calcium, could prevent diseases.
In the October 13, 1998 issue of the New York Times wrote an article appeared entitled "Calcium Takes Its Place As a Superstar of Nutrients" in which it reports that a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that increasing calcium induced normal development of the epithelia cells. It also reported that the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published virtually no major organ system escapes calcium' s influence.
The Digest also reported that the Metabolic Bone Center at St. Lukes Hospital believes that a chronic deficiency of calcium is largely responsible for premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and that a lot of women are avoiding the sun and their vitamin-D levels may be very low. In the same article, the Digest reported that in 1997 the large federally financed trial found that a diet containing 1200 milligrams of calcium significantly lowered blood pressure in adults.
Then the May 3, 1999 edition of US World News Report wrote in an article entitled Calcium's Powerful Mysterious Ways, that, Researchers are increasingly finding that the humble mineral calcium plays a major role in warding off major illnesses.
Robert Barefoot, is the author of the books The Calcium Factor and Death By Diet. These books are used by many in the nutrition industry as the bibles of nutrition . These books take scientific knowledge provided by some of the world's most renown scientists and tie it together into one cohesive scientific argument."